THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY CHUCKGASMIC (@CHUCKMEMONDAYS ON TWITTER) AND VERY GENEROUSLY LET ME USE THIS. PLEASE DO HIM A FAVOR AND CHECK OUT HIS SITE RIGHT NOW.
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT but can only be accomplished by about 1% of US dwellers and likely 1% of people reading this right now. WATCH THE EVENT LIVE... especially if you are a NIELSEN FAMILY MEMBER. If you are not one, or don't understand what that means, don't worry about it. You are not one of them. You don't need to know what it means.
But if you are a Nielsen family member, here is what you have to do to make sure your viewing of the show counts, and counts for as much as possible:
- DO tune into NBC early (at least a minute before the episode begins).
- DO have your button nearby... and click it when it blinks. Click it every time it blinks. Have friends and family over and have them click their buttons. Give guests their buttons and teach them how to use them. Remember, the ratings Nielsen wants is from people 18-49 (18-34 is even better), so if you have to lie, then your guests are males between the ages of 18 to 34. Not that I recommend lying... but hey, SAVE THE EVENT!
- If you don't have a button, then you are wearing your device. So, ignore the button pushing part.
- DO record the episode onto your DVR (if you have one) while you watch the episode live. I will explain why this is important to do in a few steps.
- DO NOT switch channels during commercials. This is extremely important. If you do, then your view will not be counted.
- DO NOT pause your live viewing (for those with DVRs) and then fast forward through the commercials. If you do, then your view will not be counted.
- DO leave the remote alone while you are watching THE EVENT on NBC LIVE!
- DO, I say this again, click your buttons when they blink, every time!
- DO, and this is really important, watch THE EVENT again, once the live viewing is over, on your DVR.
- DO NOT, and this is really really importanter (I am just making up words now), fast forward through commercials while watching it on your DVR. Treat it like you are watching LIVE.
- DO watch the episode on your DVR before 3am if you missed a live viewing, while not fast forwarding, since viewings before 3am WILL count toward the overnight ratings.
- DO watch several more times within three days WITHOUT SKIPPING COMMERCIALS. In fact, if you only watch the commercials and you watch them several times, you will count towards the C3 every time (thanks dkd).
Let me just explain that third to last point a bit more. It used to be that if you watched the show twice (live and then on your DVR) that it was only counted once. But Nielsen is now counting multiple viewings, provided that those viewings include all commercials without fast forwarding through them (called time shifting). So, if you are a very dedicated Nielsen viewer, please do that. You will make a big difference.
Also check out my campaign website for The Event http://savetheevent.blogspot.com/.